Monday 2 January 2017

Countdown to departure!

So the countdown is on to our departure! Everything is booked and confirmed. I have recently joined some groups on Facebook that are for expats living in Ecuador. There has been a wealth of information thrown at me that I am still trying to process.  It is nice to know that there are people in several of the coastal towns we are visiting who are willing to meet with us to give us their perspective on life in this beautiful country.

I have been practicing my Spanish daily, using a free app called duolingo (https://www.duolingo.com ).This is convenient because I can do the lessons on my phone anytime I have a few minutes to spare. I am looking forward to learning some of the regional differences in the language, as we move from northern coast to southern. Many expressions are specific to certain regions. I am also looking forward to improving my spoken Spanish, as I have very little opportunity to practice this here at home. My sister-in-law is from Guatemala, and she is a native Spanish speaker. She has answered many questions for me and provided some insight into the nuances of the language.

Mike and I have our Pac-safe backpacks and money belts. We are determined to pack as light as possible since we will be moving places frequently. This does create some challenges with toiletries though, lots of small containers! I am limiting myself to one pair of sandals that can be worn for walking and the beach, as well as running shoes for travel days and hiking longer distances.

We have also started taking the vaccine for "traveller's diarrhea" in the hopes of reducing that risk. Next is the malaria pills...

We also have to plan for neighbours, family and friends to check in with our twin daughters, 17 years old, who will be staying on their own at home. They will also be responsible for taking care of our beloved family dog while we are away. I hope they remember to feed her!





No comments:

Post a Comment